Durmitor National Park is certainly the most beautiful natural site, not just in Montenegro, but the whole Balkans area. Together with Tara River Canyon which is the second deepest canyon in the world, Durmitor mountain is the largest protected area in Montenegro, and it was inscribed on the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites in 1980. 48 peaks over 2000m above the sea level, 18 glacial lakes and 5 canyons, make it one of the most attractive destinations for both, experienced hikers and families. In the winter season Durmitor is ski center, while in the summer you can explore this gorgeous mountain and its picturesque landscapes, hiking along the lakes, riding a horse in the flourishing meadows or riding ATV quads through the thick pine forests.
At 9:00 a.m. we meet in Kotor and start our journey to Žabljak, small mountain town situated at altitude of 1450m above sea level, making it the highest situated town on Balkan Peninsula. The drive takes approximately 2.5h. Upon arrival, we go to Black Lake, the most famous lake on Durmitor Mountain and take a walking trail around it.
The trail is 4km long and it is suitable even for non-active hikers. Even though this is an easy hike, we recommend wearing a hiking shoes.
After having a lunch at the national restaurant on the lake shore, we go to explore this gorgeous mountain and its picturesque landscape by taking 1.5h ATV tour to the famous lakes – Riblje and Vražje Lakes.
On our way back to Kotor, we make a stop on Tara Bridge and cross it on foot in order to have an amazing view at the Tara Canyon and take some astonishing photos. The bridge is the symbol of the Tara River Canyon which is the second deepest canyon in the World and together with Durmitor Mountain is inscribed on the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites. The hight of the bridge is 170m and the view on the canyon from the bridge is truly breath-taking.
What is included
- Transportation to the destination (2.5h either from Podgorica or seaside cities)
- Licensed tour guide
- National Park entry ticket
- Lunch in the national restaurant
- Water in the van
- UNESKO protected Durmitor National Park
- Hiking tour around the Black Lake, the most famous lake in the park.
- Tara Canyon – the second deepest canyon in the world, right after Grand Canyon
- Walking across the Tara Bridge
- Local cuisine
The departure time and meeting point are optional as well as activities after the lunch.
- ATV quad tour to Vrazje and Riblje Lakes or to Zminje Lake.
- Jeep safari which includes exciting off-road drive through astonishing nature with panoramic views